Saturday, March 24, 2012

Round 5

I consider the next few rounds to be some of the most critical.  This is where a sleeper may be found or someone has fallen through the cracks and becomes a key member of your team.

The Turtles pick - Ok, I finally picked up a pitcher here.  By this point I am thinking that I may be the waiver wire champ of the year and just try and fill up my pitching spots every day to win the SO and W categories and give up on the ERA WHIP and who knows maybe pick up a couple #2 relievers who take the closer duties away from a borderline RP to occasionally take saves from someone who has even less pitching than I do.  I really was planning on staying the course and continue to load up on offense, but I just can't resist this SP.  He has missed a few starts here and there which is a concern, but I can't recall him having any serious arm injuries. He pitches in a hitters park which is also a concern.  But there are two factors that I cannot ignore about this SP, 1) he is considered by many to be the #3 pitcher on a loaded pitching staff behind Halladay and Cliff Lee.  Ever hear of pride and competition?  he will be driven by their success.  What pitcher does not want to be considered the ace, particularly when the current ace(s) are at least 5+ years older than you.  At 28, Cole is right at the juicy pitchers age when they can start to really dominate (see Matt Cain comments earlier).  For the same reason I like Lester finally being the ace of the Red Sox, I like Hamels to take another huge step forward to start his claim of ace status.  On any other team he would be the ace, why not try and be the ace of the aces. 2)  He, like Cain, reminds me of a left handed Halladay.  His numbers are unrivaled for the first 6 years of a SP career.  Only getting better each year.

Stretch pick(s) - I repeat, the only Yankee who will put up good fantasy numbers this year is Cano, period.  Personally, I have already conceded at this point that there is no SS that would deserve a pick earlier than the 8th round.  I would like to have any of the three picked here over the one I ended up with, but I'm not going to use a pick here just to fill my roster when there are so many better players available.  At this point SS is a late round pick and the ones picked here, Castro, Bonifacio in particular, will most likely not end up with significantly better numbers than the ones picked in rounds 12+.  But I thank you for using your picks here because now I don't need to pick a SS for some time since you all are not going to pick another SS for your roster.  This is similar to picking a middle of the road kicker or defense in a football league in anything but the last or 2nd to last round.

Other pick(s) - Holiday and Hamilton are nice safe picks.  A Turtle seal of approval.  Hoppy is actually having a very consistent and safe draft, okay maybe Braun was a few picks early, but other than that it sure seems like he is on autopick...did anyone actually see him with a computer on and in front of him?  Was his daughter picking for him at home?  Although I didn't like any of the SS picked this early, Conspiracy Theory's pick of Andrus wasn't as bad as the others in the sense that I think he is the best of the three SS taken off the board this round (playing for TX helps, I had him last year and he gets a ton of runs - the unsung category on offense) but he got him last, thus giving him a little bit of value and kept you off the strech list.

Best pick(s) - If Napoli can continue the pace he set last year, and is C eligible, by far the Chim Nusic is the winner of the round.  Not since Victor Martinez has there been a C with these numbers, and VMart was a top 15 pick in his heyday.  All other pitchers taken in this round make sense as they are #1's on their team and play for decent teams so can put up nice 4/5 stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment