Saturday, March 24, 2012

Round 3

Things are starting to get interesting here.  How many others of you said to yourself:  "Him....here? are you kidding me?"  This statement could of course be good and bad.  Read on to see which is which.

The Turtles pick - Beltre.  Former Red Sox who I thought last year would fall flat on his face being that he had already signed his contract.  Remember this guy when he was huge for the Dodgers, signs a huge contract in Seattle, and couldn't even muster up warning track power or the ability to hit for his weight?  I do.  He also has some heath concerns, but seeing the two SS come off the board just before my pick helped me continue my trend of power in the positions that should produce your power.  I really wanted my 3B to be power here so I could use my OF and SS to hope for some steals.  I also would not pick David Wright (see "do not draft list"
in Round 2) and am just as cautious with the up-and-coming-just-signed-a-big-contract-and-is-ready-to-do-nothing-or-spend-a-ton-of-time-on-the-DL Zimmerman...this kid burned me before.  Anyways, playing in hitter friendly Texas with a very potent lineup around him, Beltre seemed like the choice for me.

Stretch pick(s) - Rock Vegas is starting to look like Pebble Reno to me here.  Maybe it's all that flying back and forth to that state to the north.  McCann over Napoli?  Him....here? are you kidding me?  McCann is good, but I just don't think he is worth that pick here.  But just like Granderson, he'll probably put up huge numbers, at which case I will buy you a beer.  B.inge drinkers' pick of Teixeria raised an eyebrow as well, again, no Yankee except for Cano will be worth spit, period.  He probably would have been available in round 4.

Other pick(s) - Here goes a run of SP.  I had Lee and Weaver next in my Q for this round.  Figured I needed an ace somewhere.  But when 3 of the  best pitchers available all went off the board I decided not to join the fray.  This could be very costly to me because I will most likely be one of the only teams without a true ace pitchers who gives wins, era, whip, and so.  My  power plan better work or I'm up the river without a poodle.

Best pick(s) - Mr Potato Head got the steal of the round in Pedro here.  I was hoping to steal him and put him in my utility slot just for trade bait to get an ace pitcher that I was lacking.  Can't take what is not there though, your best pick of the draft thus far.  In second place I really like Waiver Wire Wally's pick here too, he was lights out 2nd half of last year and is healthy and on a decent team.  May lose some run support with Prince gone, but I look for him to finish a top 5 pitcher in all 4 SP categories.

No comments:

Post a Comment