Saturday, March 24, 2012

Round 4

Some of us are still finding steals, some of us are taking flyers on players and some are playing it safe.  Even though no one had autodraft on, many of these picks sure seemed like it.

The Turtles pick - Like my last pick, this pick is a big reward vs big risk selection.  I honestly had to look this guy up because I had never heard of Giancarlo.  What the hell, he used to be Mike.  Changing your name is not the smartest thing in the world.  Think Ochocinco and the artist formerly known as Prince.  I wouldn't say that their careers got better after the name change.  But it sure worked for John Cougar (Melloncamp).  So from this day forth I shall refer to Giancarlo Stanton as John Melloncamp.  He certainly has the power to match my current philosophy, but I am a little concerned about his average.  His success is also directly linked to how well both Reyes and Ramirez do this season, now you can see why I predict that those two will have a ton of runs and stay healthy this year.  If they don't Johnny boy here could try and do it all himself and hit a HR every at bat and end up with 2.12x10^2 strikeouts and an average of pretty much the same thing to match his 40+ HR.

Stretch pick(s) - My pick Stanton is the biggest stretch in this round.  I probably could have waited, or picked up McCuthchen, who went with the next pick, but so far this draft I have been trigger happy with huge risk/reward players, why stop now.  As I mentioned before, I'm not crazy about 3B Wright.  The ballpark, lack of support, age, injury, he just seems to be putting up worse and worse numbers each year.  Storen in this round may have been a reaction to WWW taking Kimbrel, but as it turns out there wasn't a RP run.  Some might have put Pap or Mariano here since Storen has had some soreness this spring.

Other pick(s) - Rollins is old, but still a good SS.  Not nearly in the same category as Reyes, Tulu, and Ramirez, but for his position puts up decent numbers if he doesn't get hurt.  A good safe pick.  Other safe picks:  Kinsler and Zobrist.  Both have a ton of ability for the position, particularly Kinsler if he can stay healthy all year.  If Lester is out to clear his name, watch out.

Best pick(s) - Cain is ready to contend for the Cy Young.  He may not get the SO that his teammate Mr. Lincecum gets (yet), or the run support that Sabathia gets (ok this isn't going to happen anytime soon), but think of Felix Hernandez two years ago.  He's 27 and only getting better.  More importantly, he has avoided being injured like most workhorses.  Remind you of any other NL workhorses?  I think of Halladay.  Cain's numbers are similar, if not better.  Halladay became considered a dominant pitcher from 2003-2005 when he was the same age as Cain now.  This kid is big and strong and just now showing us how good he is.  McCutchen is an up and coming player on an up and coming team.  Even though I did not draft him, I know I am going to regret it later.  I'm actually rooting for this kid and the Pirates.  Wouldn't all of you like to see them finally win?  WWW picks the first closer off the board.  Normally I would have criticized this pick for closers are like the weather in Nebraska - just can't predict it and it can change in a minute.  That being said I looked back on your team and noticed that you are going (nearly) all pitching, a complete 180 from your team last year.  I made a comment in chat regarding your adding and dropping your entire pitching staff in jest and I really like the direction your going here...it worked well for me last year and I don't know if you came up with this strategy on the fly or you planned this all along, either way it is a strategy that I would have never expected from you and I applaud you for it.  And if Kimbrel repeats what he did last year, you could be difficult to get any points from in the 5 pitching categories.  Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment